Tugs and tows are used for moving non-propelled dredging equipment over long and short distances for a variety of purposes.
Tugs or tug boats and tows or tow boats are used for towing or pushing non-propelled equipment:
- going to and from project sites,
- to move hopper barges into position beside a dredger,
- to push or tow hopper barges to the discharge location,
- to assist large dredgers when they have to reposition or move to sheltered waters,
- to shift anchors on site,
- to transfer personnel on and off dredgers, and
- to deliver stores and consumables.