Early Contractor Involvement is and always has been an important topic for the IADC. Therefore we have been organising these Forums successfully every 2 years in different locations. It is our intention to keep on organising these Forums. So keep an eye on our website for future events.
About the ECI Forum
An interactive forum and networking event for project owners, financiers, contractors, insurers, construction lawyers, regulators, government agencies and NGOs, advisors to decision makers in maritime infrastructure construction
“A paradigm shift is taking place in procurement. And we need to educate the client and contractors”.
“Risk management is part of the procurement process. We understand that the client is not the expert. The vendor is the expert”.
Dean T. Kashiwagi
Anyone involved in large infrastructure projects has come up against delays, postponements and risks. And the first question that arises is: How could this have been done differently? Why didn’t anyone see these problems coming?
Early Contractor Involvement is a method to get everyone onboard with a project before the first shovel, literally and figuratively, has hit the ground. The theory is straightforward. The more experts and stakeholders can agree beforehand what the process should be and who takes responsibilities and risks for a project, the more efficient, cost-effective the project can be implemented and the more satisfied the client and contractor will be.
This two-day forum with the theme Partnering Creates Possibilities will bring together top-level experts and advisors responsible for construction projects for an in-depth exchange of knowledge. With well-known keynote speakers setting the tone for the forum the participants will explore the benefits of “contractual partnering” – that is, a co-operation amongst all the contractual players from the very early stages of project development.
Early Contractor Involvement can help identify risks and responsibilities and obstacles to co-operation, as well as possible methods to deal with, eliminate or minimize them. The aim of the forum is to explore the practical and legal possibilities of utilising better and more intelligently the resources associated with “the early involvement of contractors” in order to bring benefits to society in the form of faster and more cost-effective solutions.
Participating companies/organisations in the past have included:
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Central Dredging Association (CEDA)
- World Association for Waterborne Transport Infrastructure (PIANC)
- National Union of Journalists (NUJ)
- International Association of Ports and Harbors (IAPH)
- Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
- Dutch association for engineers and engineering students (KIVI/NIRIA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIARB)
- UK Federation of Dredging Contractors (FDC)
- Western Dredging Association (WEDA)
- American Society for Industrial Security
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland (IESIS)
More on ECI
- Facts About sheet: ECI (download the PDF)
- Article: Public Procurement Rules in the EU and Early Contractor Involvement, Terra et Aqua 129, December 2012 (download the PDF)
Article: Can Early Contractor Involvement be the Cure?, Terra et Aqua 124, September 2011 (download the PDF)
For further information please contact:
Mr. Jurgen Dhollander
P + 31 (0)70 352 33 34
F + 31 (0)70 351 26 54