To stimulate the promotion of new ideas and to encourage the younger men or women working in the dredging industry and related fields, the IADC has instituted the IADC Young Author Award.
Young Author Award
Each year at selected conferences, the IADC grants awards for the best papers written by authors younger than 35 years of age. In each case the Conference Paper Committee is asked to recommend a prize-winner whose paper makes a significant contribution to the literature on dredging and related fields. The purpose of the IADC Award is “to stimulate the promotion of new ideas and encourage younger men and women in the dredging industry”. The winner of an IADC Award receives €1,000 and a certificate of recognition and the paper may then be published in Terra et Aqua, IADC’s quarterly journal.
IADC bestowed the Young Author Award 2022 to Suman Sapkota, Research, Development and Innovation Engineer at Damen Dredging Equipment. The Young Author Award is given annually to “stimulate the promotion of new ideas and encourage younger men and women in the dredging industry”. The award is granted at industry-leading conferences, with 2022’s winning young author selected from the proceedings of the WODCONXXIII, held from 16 - 20 May 2022 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Click here to see previous winners.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- The subject matter of the paper must be related to dredging and reclamation in its widest sense, including operations, research, environmental aspects, management, financing and economic aspects, production control and equipment design/developments.
- At the final date of the submission of the paper to the conference, the main author(s) should not be more than 35 years of age.
- In the case of two or more authors jointly submitting a paper, the author(s) under 35 years may nevertheless be eligible for the award if they have done a significant part of the work.
- The papers will be reviewed and graded autonomously by the Conference/Paper Committee of the selected conference. The two to four papers will then be sent to the IADC for selection of the winning paper.
- The Conference Paper Committee is under no obligation to nominate an author for the award should they be of the opinion that none of the entries are of a high enough standard.
- The IADC is under no obligation to accept the nominations of the Conference Paper Committee if they do not consider the selected papers to be of a level deemed necessary by the IADC.
- The award will consist of a certificate and sum of € 1,000.- per paper. In the case of more than one author this amount will be shared amongst the authors.
- With the exception of the Conference Proceedings the IADC reserves the right of first publication, without payment of authorship fees, of any awarded paper. The paper can be published in full, in summary or in condensed form in any publication the IADC may select, preferably in “Terra et Aqua”.
- Permission to be published will be requested from the Conference. However, the IADC cannot be held responsible or liable for infringement by the authors of these papers of copyrights of third parties, or any such use by the authors of restricted material or information.
- The aim is to grant the award at least once a year to a suitable paper. If no paper has been found suitable in any given year, the award will not be granted.